Thursday 19 June 2014

INGERLAND (3)

Ingerland were dreadful against Uruguay this evening, losing 2-1 in a match they really had to win if they are to have any chance of qualifiying for the knock-out phase of the World Cup. Theoretically, it is still possible for them to make it; but the permutations are so complicated that I think it is highly unlikely. In which case, Ingerland will have gone out in the group stages for the first time since 1958.

I have to say I am not surprised. The so-called "group of death" was always going to be tricky, with Italy and Uruguay of the quality teams and Costa Rica as a dangerous floater. I didn't think that England would get through, so I wasn't too depressed when they lost tonight. Their play was far too predictable, there was no incision and very little creativity. The sad truth is that Ingerland are no longer very good at football.

Walter Blotscher

No comments:

Post a Comment